#MentalFitnessTalk: My "Pick Me Up" Playlist
I'm still at a lost for words in regards to the recent election and the events surrounding it. I've been toying around with different ideas and different angles for a blog post related to these issues, but I honestly just don't know what to say (reasons why I didn't post last week). What I do know is that music helps me through tough times. It doesn't change things, but it does put me in a much better mood. We have to take care ourselves during times of turmoil, especially our mental state. Music is a proven from of therapy and a great way to clear your mind.
I want to share my most up-to-date "pick me up" playlist to give you an idea of what songs put me in great mood. Click the links to listen and download if haven't already!
- Rise Up by Andra Day
- I Was Created For This by Tweet
- 24K Magic by Bruno Mars (If this song doesn't get you hype, I don't know what will!)
- Drift by Alina Baraz
- Kool As Hail by All Cows Eat Grass
- Vegas by ABRA
- Fruit by ABRA (honestly, anything by ABRA)
- How Great by Chance the Rapper feat. Jay Electronica & Chance's cousin, Nicole
- Encourage Yourself by Donald Lawrence & the Tri-City Singers
- We're Blessed by Fred Hammond
- Penthouse Cloud by The Internet
- You're Bigger by Jekalyn Carr
- Chief Don't Run by Jidenna
- Ultralight Beam by Kanye West
- Before I Die by Kirk Franklin
- Go Get It by Mary Mary
- Black Beatles by Rae Sremmurd feat. Gucci Mane (because who doesn't listen to this song for a pick-me-up)
- Cranes in the Sky by Solange (actually, the entire album)
- Free in Deed by William Murphy
- Best of Me by Yuna
I hope this playlist gives you some ideas for some great songs. Listening to music is calming and takes you away from the world, even for just a few minutes. It's definitely one of my favorite ways to stay mentally fit!
I love being put on to new music, so comment below and tell me some of your favorite mood-changer songs! Also, tell me what you have been doing to remain sane in the midst of everything that's been going on.