#2016Recap: My Top 6
Well guys, that’s a wrap.
2017 will be here in 12 hours and I couldn’t be more excited! I am so ready for what God has in store for all of us in the new year … aren’t you?!
2016 has been an … interesting year, to say the least. However, I must admit, it’s had some pretty phenomenal moments. This has been a great year for music, television, people of color and MYSELF! It’s been a crazy 12 months, but just like I said in my last post, we must focus on the positive.
To end on a positive note, I wanted to create a list of my favorite projects, creations and moments that this crazy year has blessed us with. Check out my favs below!
2016: Top 6
*The list is numbered, but it is in no particular order.
- A Seat at the Table by Solange
- ANTI by Rihanna
- “Awaken, My Love!” by Childish Gambino
- 4 Your Eyez Only by J. Cole
- LEMONADE by Beyoncé
- Coloring Book by Chance the Rapper
- Luke Cage
- Power, Season 3
- Empire, Season 3
- How to Get Away with Murder, Season 3
- Hidden Figures (which isn’t out everywhere yet, but it’s super important)
- When the Bough Breaks
- Fences (I haven’t seen it yet, but … it’s Denzel and Viola, so duh.)
- Barbershop 3: The Next Cut
- Bad Moms
- Almost Christmas
Black Girl Magic Happenings
- The 2017 Golden Globe nominee list was announced and it is loaded with black women such as Issa Rae, Tracee Ellis Ross, Kerry Washington and more.
- Roxane Gay created Marvel’s first black feminist comic book.
- Serena Williams won her 7th Wimbledon single title victory AND tied the Open Era record for Grand Slam titles … she twerked with Bey too, so she’s winning.
- So many black girls like Simone Biles and Simone Manuel KILLED the Rio Olympics.
- First Lady Michelle Obama was just popping ALL YEAR LONG, per usual. She’s ending her last term with a bang.
- Mikaila Ulmer received an $11 million deal with Whole Foods for her all-natural lemonade … she’s only 12 y’all.
Black Boy Joy Happenings
- THE President Barack Obama had a wonderful final year and was just as popping as FLOTUS. *tears*
- Chance the Rapper … no explanation necessary.
- Our black men, such as Denzel Washington and Anthony Anderson, also rocked the 2017 Golden Globe nominee list.
- Nike aired a commercial that starred a young black boy playing every position of baseball against himself which inspires many black boys to go after their dreams of becoming a baseball player.
- Donald Glover took over 2016 with his very own show on FX, Atlanta, and he released a BOMB album that gives all kinds of 70s vibes.
- Gucci was finally set free after "Free Gucci" was yelled about 473, 947, 219 times per day.
- Y’all … I graduated from college! I have a WHOLE college degree now, haha.
- I traveled outside of the U.S. for the first time.
- After months of stressing, I got accepted into a great master’s degree program.
- Last week, I started a marketing and communications internship that I REALLY wanted.
- The readership of my blog grew (thanks guys).
- I am a lot healthier mentally, physically and emotionally than I was in the past!
- Put God first in ALL things.
- Living with purpose results in a life of fulfillment.
- Fear and doubt will only hinder you from reaching your full potential.
- Just jump! Do not let anything hold you back from taking a leap of faith. (I learned this quickly as I swung off of a mountain in Ecuador, haha.)
- Be the best YOU that you can possibly be.
- LIVE. Life is too short to only exist.
What are some of your favorites from 2016? Comment below!
Happy New Year!